Friday, March 27, 2009

A Glimpse Into Alzheimers?

Last week while I was playing pool, something happened. My opponent scratched on her shot, so it was my 'ball in hand' to put anywhere on the table. I saw that I needed a bridge to get at my target ball, so put the cue ball at the end of the table to get the bridge. When I stood up, I saw that the cue ball was at the other end of the table from my target ball, and got confused as to why I would need a bridge. What was I thinking? I put the bridge back and made the shot. Then I realized that it had been my 'ball in hand' and that I was going to move the ball closer to my target ball and then use the bridge to shoot. I was shocked by the mistake I had just made. A few minutes later I realized that I had missed my afternoon pain killer and was pretty uncomfortable. Plus the confusion over what I had just done, was very disconcerting.

I'm not saying that I have Alzheimers, but I think I got a glimpse of what it is like to momentarily have forgotten what I was doing. Once I took a pain pill and it kicked in, I was able to focus better.

This wasn't like we all forget why we got up from the couch, went into the other room. It was disturbing to know that I could completely 'lose my place' doing something I've done before.

I can't imagine how horrifying it must be for people who have the disease and how devasting to their families and friends who have to watch their loved ones slowly become someone else.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Hi Jane, yesterday I was pumping gas. I had already run my credit card at the pump, but decided to go into the store and get a bottle of water. I paid for it, came out and got into my car and started to drive away. I had forgotten entirely that I hadn't taken the nozzle out of the car and closed up my tank. The hose broke off and lay on the ground beside the car. Apparently this happens relatively often because the attendant came out and calmly told me that he'd have to charge me $35 for the valve. I was relieved, but quite embarrased! Another "senior" moment!

Phyllis said...

Hey Jane! I just wanted to say, "Welcome to my world!" hehehe

I am constantly getting peeks into my fantasy Alzheimers. In fact, I went to the Doctor at one point crying and telling him I was absolutely certain I had the beginnings of Alzheimers. He laughed and laughed and told me it was just menopause. Hm....... I still fail to see the humor.